Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Leaving New York

Through the generosity of others, we were able to spend an enjoyable week in and around New York City. I was given the unexpected privilege of an opportunity to make a sales pitch to a ‘mogul’ businessman who has been on the cover of magazines. My presentation was made in an office flat that, I was informed by him, is valued at tens of millions of dollars.

I also got to sit in on a sales pitch by others. It was a ‘upscale’ internet proposal that associated the Home Shopping Network with ‘Midwestern tastes’, and sought to provide something closer to the image of Obama for more sophisticated shoppers. In any case, I am now only separated from a bunch of famous people, including Christie Brinkley, by three degrees. I am thankful to have been given this eye-opening experience.

And I remain convinced, now more than ever, that when the SHTF, national leadership will come from the lands of the Home Shopping Network. It sure won’t come from SoHo; morning coffee here costs $12.50. New York is a city completely dependent on liquid transportation fuel for its basic needs. I feel uneasy here.

Bill hereby rates urban real estate a ‘strong sell’.

No comments: