Saturday, January 17, 2009

FOIA Request

I have read Federalist 46, and concur with those scholars who have read that document, and come to the conclusion that James Madison’s ‘militia’ consisted of all able-bodied men. Madison included the math, you see.

So it disturbs me to see even one of the gun blogs, that I have never witnessed go over the line, begin to censor old posts in advance of a new Attorney General. But I have worked closely with government, and have also witnessed government’s ability to twist law to meet their own personal agenda.

The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) has nine exemptions. The one exemption that could be used to deny the following request, as I read it is #7a:

“Compiled for law enforcement purposes, the release of which could reasonably be expected to interfere with law enforcement proceedings.”

But I do not see how #7a could be used against an individual, expressing his opinions from his living room, who has previously requested an opinion as to the legality of his speech, and has agreed to take down any offending words.

So, with that in mind, here is my formal FOIA request to any government person and/or agency that reads this:

Are any government funds, time, or resources of any kind being expended to monitor this blog? If so please inform me via a comment to this blog post.

I doubt that there is anybody reading this, and this thought goes out into the blogosphere, to encourage Citizens to continue to express their opinions freely.

No comments: